Classical music is our passion - and has been since 1868. When we play with Paavo Järvi, a special energy is created because no concert is like the one before. We love the diverse impulses from our guest conductors. We are happy to be challenged by internationally acclaimed soloists.
Together we rediscover music from Mozart to Messiaen. Together with our audience we remain curious about unknown masterpieces and commissioned compositions. Founded by Zurich citizens, we carry our musical home in the name and its excellent reputation out into the world on tours and CD recordings.
In addition …
- around 100 musicians play in the Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich per season about 50 different programs in over 100 concerts
- musicians from about 20 nations come together in the orchestra together
- guest performances took the orchestra to 100 cities in over 30 countries
- the musicians create, in addition to the orchestra projects also own chamber music series and can be experienced as soloists in a separate series
- Paavo Järvi is the 11th principal conductor of the Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich
- David Zinman is our Conductor Emeritus
- we have released more than 40 CD productions, including complete recordings
- of all symphonies by Beethoven, Mahler, Brahms and Schubert, an anniversary box
- the first recording with Paavo Järvi, orchestral works by Messiaen, was awarded the Diapason d'Or in 2019